Saturday 19 May 2007

Kohjinsha Touch-Screen 2 Weeks On

I have now had my new Kohjinsha for 2 weeks, and whilst in my previous posts I mentioned how the keyboard had improved, over the past 2 weeks the quality of the keyboard has deteriorate and it is now suffering missed key strokes like the original SA1 series. I have also experienced problems with the touchpad not responding, which at first I thought was the driver, but even uninstalling the driver did not resolve this issue. At one point the unit became un-usable for 20-30 mins, but after several reboots the touchpad began to work again, and for the past week has been OK. Another problem experienced and mentioned in a previous post is the touch screen calibration. After loading Windows XP Tablet I discovered that I could not calibrate the touch screen 100%, but stranger still was the fact that only the right side of the screen seemed to be affected. I downloaded the latest driver and calibration software, but still could not accurately calibrate the screen. After playing with the calibration for awhile I found that I could achieve a more accurate calibration by using the 25 point calibration option, but this still gave problems with the bottom right hand side. These problems do not affect any hand writing recognition software but does affect the use of the stylus on icons and scroll bars on this part of the screen. I have raised this issue with Kohjinsha via the Japanese exporter, but to date have had no response.

To sum up, with the mouse, keyboard and touch screen issues I am disappointed that Kohjinsha have released this new model without fixing the previous known bugs, and with the premium price being charged by some resellers for the touch screen I am not sure I would recommend this model, however if you are looking for an ultra portable laptop with a touch screen and can live with these known issues, then the touch screen Kohjinsha may be for you. If you do not need the touch screen, then go for one of the cheaper models.

Despite my negative comments above I am still happy with the Kohjinsha and the touch screen is an advantage if you load ritePen or can install XP Tablet.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update on the keyboard. Kohjinsha had a good chance (time) to fix the known keyboard issue. Its a shame they didn't take the chance to fix it.

In 2007 there's really no excuse for putting a 2nd gen product out with a poor keyboard.

Here's to the original Kohjinsha SA1!! Still good value and a unique product.

Steve (Kohji owner) Paine

snave said...

chippy I agree, Kohjinsha should have fixed the keyboard on this new model, and should not have released it with a touch screen problem.

spoon said...

honestly I can't comment on how much improvement there was in the keyboard because I never felt the orignal, but that said touch typing on the SA1F00V is fine for me (this is my 1 week mark), I also don't have to do anything I characterize as abusive to type.

There is a fix on the japanese blog site involving taking out each of the keys and inserting a screw in the underbelly of each. This apparently reduces the amount of pressure needed to cause a "hit" on the keyboard, not sure if it still applies with the SA1F00V though.

touchpad, and screen accuracy have not been an issue for me, but I haven't reinstalled my OS in favor for XP Tablet. I have instead pared down the XP OS removing features to try to increase the performance (instead of adding features). Currently I can play youtube movies in Low or Medium quality depending on the clip.

my product usage is about 3-4 hours a day with this as my IM machine and watching tv web companion.

Special note for Kohjinsha owners is that the screen protectors for the Samsung Q1 actually fit the Kohjinsha very well. I am currently using the Boxwave cleartouch crystal, and like it a lot.

snave said...

spoonworld, thanks for you comments, and it now looks like my Kohjinsha came from a faulty batch and I hope to have it replaced soon.

Anonymous said...

I used the touch screen Kohjinsha in Bic Camera (Tokyo) a few days ago. It has the same calibration problem that you mentioned. The right side of the screen is about 0.5cm wrong, even after running the calibration software.

Anonymous said...

徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社外遇徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社外遇徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社.徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社婚外情.徵信社徵信社徵信社.徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社徵信社

Anonymous said...

包二奶徵信調查網路外遇仿冒調查婚姻訴訟婚姻暴力尋人查址法律諮詢基隆徵信社台北徵信社桃園徵信社新竹徵信社苗栗徵信社台中徵信社彰化徵信社南投徵信社雲林徵信社嘉義徵信社台南徵信社高雄徵信社屏東徵信社台東徵信社花蓮徵信社宜蘭徵信社離島徵信社大陸二奶大陸出差尋人查址離婚設計國際徵信婚姻暴力妨害婚姻婚前徵信市場調查外遇偷腥財產調查工商徵信帳款催收商業調查工商調查 信用徵信 財產調查 行蹤監控 仿冒調查 債權追償 尋人查址企業徵信 大陸專案 倒會討債 應收帳款 商標侵權 背景調查 文書鑑定工商徵信