I have been using the VYE S37 for a few hours now on and off, and my first observations impressions are as follows:
1. The screen is the clearest sharpest I've seen on any available UMPC (as good as the Mo-bits/ TabletKiosk Tuff Tab)
2. The keyboard is 1000x better than the old SA1 series.
3. The device is fast enough for basic on the road tasks (whilst the SA1 was good I did get frustrated with occasional performance problems)
The Not So Good
1. WiFi device on this demo unit keeps switcing off with error code 10 in the device manager.
2. There is a WiFi/Bluetooth on/off switch on the front of the unit, but this only turns the WiFi/Bluetooth on/off if the WiFi/Bluetooth has been enabled using the Fn F4 key!!!
3. The SD reader can't always see my memory card.
4. The VYE logo on the lid (this needs to be reviewed by VYE.
5. The £800 price tag (I'm not sure I would pay £800 for any UMPC, especially as I could import the 40GB version for about £600 including import taxes)
I am writing this entry on the S37, and I will be testing it over the next few weeks, so if there is anything you would like testing post here.
UPDATE: VYE are sending a replacement unit, as it would appear I have a unit that was damaged during transit. VYE had a number of samples sent from Inventec that got damaged in transit, and it looks like mine slipped through the net. I have to say VYE are being very helpful.
Sunday, 19 August 2007
I have been lucky enough to get my hands on the 800MHz VYE S37 and will be putting it through its paces over the next week or 2. I have had a couple of problems with the demo unit, but I hope this will be fixed by a BIOS update. I will post about the issues and hopefully the fixes in a later entry, but for now here are the specs and some images.